Safer Internet day takes place on Tuesday 9th of February, it is an EU-wide initiative to bring awareness to safe practices for children on the internet. In Ireland, it is promoted by the PDST Technology in Education and Webwise.
Here are some safety tip for children and Teens when on the internet:
- When on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or any social network application, never post any personal information about your phone number, address, your location, family details, when you leave the house, or where you might be going. This information is not needed by every member of your friends list and not everybody on your friends list is your friend.
- Never meet with anybody who you have become friends with only online. You need to remember that it is very easy to set up a fake profile, using pictures from the internet. If someone asks to meet with you, you need to talk to your parents, guardian, siblings and friends. You may be sure you know this person because you spent weeks or months messaging them, and you see their pictures, they’re funny and nice, but in reality, you know nothing about this individual.
- Be nice: if you wouldn’t say it to somebody’s face, don’t text it or post it online. Keep in mind, nobody likes a keyboard warrior.
- If you are old enough to use the social media like Facebook or Twitter, then your big and bold enough to understand how privacy settings work. If you don’t understand how to use them, ask somebody, or google it. If you still don’t understand after that, maybe you shouldn’t be on the internet. This isn’t your fault, your parents need to read this.
- If at any time while online, you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, if someone is threatening towards you, you need to tell your parents, you need to delete/block them and don’t make put yourself in danger. If a group of people are bullying you, write down who they are, screenshot the pages and show a grown up. Never hurt yourself because of these people. Please talk to someone and let them know what’s happening and how you feel.
REMEMBER: The internet is not your friend, always stay safe, Happy safer Internet day.